Sorting through life is an interesting task. There are a lot of steps involved in this never ending to-do list. This list actually starts the day we are born, doesn’t it? We are expected to grow, crawl, walk, talk, count, think for ourselves, process good from bad, right from wrong, make the right decisions, pass a class, graduate, make a good college choice, make a good friend choice, make a good career choice, re-evaluate our friend choice from college, and of course, all ending with making a good life decision.
Sometimes, however we find ourselves in a place that seems cluttered and we decide to clean it up. We decide that this ‘dirty laundry’ has congested our way far too long so we decide to de-toxify that room. So we sort through the good and the bad. Tossing out the toxic items, whether it’s people, places or things and then organizing, prioritizing the good. In the mean time, we are sisters, and brothers, moms and dads, best friends, co-workers, employees, volunteers, thinkers, planners, do-ers, social life’ers, and….take a breath…there’s always more, isn’t there?!
So here’s my question. What happens when, amongst all this crazy to-do list, life decides to happen? I’m talking about those situations that weren’t necessarily on our to-do list. It seems like in the past two years, life and death has been the topic of many joyful, yet heavy hearts in my ‘life community.’ My dear friend from college celebrated her twin’s two-year-old birthday a few months ago. Two of my college girls have gotten married, and the third is planned for next month. That’s the good life, right? These are blessing from the Lord that come at times when we least expect it, and to be honest, wasn’t really on our (immediate) to-do list. So in these times, we celebrate. We thank the Lord for His blessings and gifts of love; for family and friends to share these moments with.
But then what happens when the hard part of life creeps in at the most inconvenient times? I’m talking about the part of life that isn’t life. I’m talking about death. My dear friend Rachel of five years married the love of her life a few years ago. Matt is perfect for her and vice-versa. I have never seen such an open, loving, communiticave, random, fun relationship in my life. I’ve said from day one of their relationship, that their love is what I want. So amongst Rachel getting a promotion, getting a new job, going to graduate school, and amongst Matt getting a new job, getting a promotion and also attending school, life happened. Actually, life happened for the 4th and 5th time. For years Matt and Rachel have been fighting for Matt’s life. A few months ago, a young 24 years old Matt underwent his 5th surgery to try and tame the cancer in his body. After this last surgery, things weren’t going as planned even for a ‘cancer to-do list.’ Praise the Lord Matt and Rachel found some answers. They aren’t the ones we’d like to hear, like “The cancer is gone and is never coming back,” but the Lord is giving them a few more months/years together and we are so thankful and blessed for that.
A man that I knew died instantly in a dune-buggie accident nearly eight weeks ago. He left his wife of 4 years and unborn twin girls to live the life he’ll never have. When consoling my dear friend, his sister-in-law the weeks following, I had to ask myself; How are we supposed to see God in this? How is it fair that a young man’s life is ripped away from him before he turned 30, before he became a daddy? This is what I’ve concluded…
So if we celebrate life when it first happens, i.e. births, relationships and marriage, are we to also celebrate when it ends? Difficult to say, but yes. And many of us know this to be true. When attending funerals and memorials of those we love, or those we supported in life, it’s such a blessing to find these events to be pure celebrations of life.
You see the steadfast thing about life and death is the fact that it revolves around our Creator, the Perfector of life. Psalm 139 tells me that “you knit me together in my mother's womb.” In Jeremiah 29:11, the Lord says “For I know the plans I have for you, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future.” So here’s what I got; life happens, good or bad, it’s always going to happen. When completing our to-do list we’ll add items and remove them as we see fit but the comforting fact is our editor is the best there is, hands down.
Psalm 23
The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, [a] I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies. You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life, and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
No comments:
Post a Comment