
I’ve decided that high school kids are either wonderful or horrible. There are no in-between students. They either have good intentions or bad ones. In my two months of presenting in high schools in Nebraska and Iowa, I’ve seen my share of both types of students. This week at West Lyon High School in Iowa, I witnessed three girls attempt being nice and sweet to their counselor. I had a few hours to work between presentations and I made myself at home in an office right off of the counselors office. I’m not sure if these girls were in her office because they had study hall, but they certainly weren’t working. I would put Ms. Mulder between 34-40 years old. The two girls in her office were in my senior class, so they are 17-18. Here’s what I overheard:
Student 1: Ms. Mulder, why haven’t you found the right guy yet?
Ms. Mulder: Because the right one doesn’t exists.
Student 2: He does exist. Do you want me to help you find him?
Ms. Mulder: What makes you think there is a guy out there for me?
Student 1: Because there has to be. He’s out there; you just need to do some things.
Ms. Mulder: What do you mean, I need to do some things?
Student 1: We are going to take you shopping and get you some new hip clothes, then we are going to get your hair did and then get MaryKay and do your make up, because yea, you need it.
Student 2: Yea!! And then we are going to take you out on the town!! I mean, ON THE TOWN!
Ms. Mulder: You girls are 17. How are you going to take me out on the town?
They continued talking. Ms. Mulder told the girls that guys don’t like her because she’s always involved in sports, watching her newphews and her college team, etc. The girls told her that was stupid, because all guys liked girls who like sports. Ms. Mulder said, well I’m too busy, guys don’t like a woman that is never home. I figured the conversation was going nowhere and to be honest I was surprised that Ms. Mulder was even talking to the girls about this at all. I would have assumed she would have stopped the conversation after the very first question. To my amazement Ms. Mulder then said.
Ms. Mulder: So when are we going to do this…the clothes and hair and make up?
I was shocked. Then I laughed and then I went to my next class.
No comments:
Post a Comment