In the hour break I had between workshops today, I stopped in at subway for a cup of soup and some tea. I sat by two women who had met for a lunch date. Both in their late 30’s, one brought her 10 month old baby girl. Their conversation covered everything from the weather, fish fry’s, gardens, 10 acre yards, babies that won’t eat – won’t sleep, the elliptical that’s set up in the girls play room that never gets used, and “I’m down 15lbs, I have 40 more to go until I reach my wedding weight.” And then I hear “Oh my, look at my hands. I have old lady hands.” Her friend replies “I have my mother’s hands; I can’t believe it, look.” She says “I’d die for my mother’s hands; I have my Aunt Millie’s hands. Gross. When did we get this way? Where did the time go? I have too much to do before I get old!” I sat here and found myself starring at them. When they finally noticed, I apologized and brought my gaze back to my computer and I thought, “I too, have too much to do before I get old. Am I really turning 29 this summer? What have I been doing with my life? Where did the time go? Where in the world am I going?”
This reminds me of the conversation my good friend Kelly Dugger and I had yesterday. I shared with her my dissatisfaction with life. I asked her why I was so unhappy, why do I have everything I could ever need, yet feel like I’m missing something? Lovingly she reminded me that she believes it’s a reminder from God that only He can satisfy. Simply stated. We will always want a marriage, kids, a bigger house, a better job…and when we get all of those, there will always be something else. We will squirm and wiggle and feel like there’s always something better.
Kelly then challenged me to do some reflecting this week and I am extending the challenge to you. Where are you on your journey? Spend some quality time with your ultimate lover this week and answer these following questions. I hope in doing so I will learn who I am, who God wants me to be and I will find myself and my satisfaction in Him.
1. Who am I / Who does God say I am?
2. Who is God?
3. Where have I been?
4. Where am I now?
5. Where am I going?
No comments:
Post a Comment