As the page turns to the next chapter of my life, I find myself at the beginning of an unknown path. I know that in following this path, I'm trusting that there is a purpose and a plan. And I wouldn't mind some company along the journey. Pack light, we have much land to cover...

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Existing Attributes




For some reason, driving through small towns in an area I’m not familiar with, like where I grew up, is incredibly fascinating to me. As I pass through small towns such as West Point , Battle Creek and Tiden a slight smile comes across my face when I start to think about how close and supportive small communities can be. As I stopped for lunch at a small subway on one of my trips, I saw a young man with a snow blower outside an elderly man’s house. I knew it was an act of service, because the older gentleman stood porch side, bundled up and offered a handshake once his sidewalks had been cleared. Goodness still exists.



The trees and the land were beautiful on my drive through north central Nebraska. It was as if someone took a feather brush and lightly dusted the every hill and every tree with bright white snow. It was almost as if it was someone’s art work, God’s artwork. Some of the land has not been touched since the most recent snow fall the night before. Roads did not have tire tracks, road signs and highway markers were hiding behind the blanket of snow. I imagined if I were to stand in the middle of the fields I was driving by, I would stand there in complete silence, in the wonder of it all. It looked clean, it was untouched. Purity still exists.



Sunday evening as I ventured out in the cold blowing snow in O’Neill, Nebraska, I found a small place to warm my tummy and ended up warming my heart as well. China Dragon is owned by a lovely couple who invited me into their restaurant and into their lives. I learned they had lived 10 years in Japan, but spent most of their years living in Tiwain. These sweet Chinese people told me of their journeys to Japan, California and Omaha. I saw pictures of their children and grandchildren, they are a beautiful family. I laughed a little when I found that Omaha was on their list of travels to tell me about. I brought a book to read as eating alone provide quailed reading time. However, reading was not going to happen this evening. We talked of my travels to China, the wonders I encountered on the other side of the world. The owner finally said “Your face says Korean to me.” I said, “It does?!” We talked about the Japanese culture and how fun it is to know each other’s story. As I sit there waiting for my Kung Pao Chicken to be prepared, a cup of soup was placed in front of me. “Free soup for you” the young cook from the back said with a huge smile on his face, “It’s free for only you.” I smiled and said “Oh, well thank you so much!” He said “Yes, free for you.” These people were wonderful to me, they gave me free food, I had a lovely conversation and I was invited back on Tuesday. Because after all, “Monday is when I get to spend MY money” the owner informed me. I sat there in delight, deciding to pick up and read a few pages of my book and realized that kind people are at the heart of small communities. Generosity still exists.



O’Neill is my home for this week. I will spend 4 nights and 5 days here. I went to McIntosh Jewelry as the commercial on the radio said “Absolutely everything is on sale! You won’t leave the store without finding something you LOVE!” I walked out empty handed. I paid a visit to Dollar General, Alco and Pamida. I purchased one thing, an extension cord. Tuesday afternoon will be spent scheduling, but not before I go back to see my friends at China Dragon. I walk in and they greet me with big smiles and open arms. “What school did you see today? Did you travel far? How many students did you talk to?” were the questions they asked me all before I could take my coat off. They were excited to hear about my 2 hour round trip to Bassett, Nebraska to visit Rock Country High School. They were even more pleased to hear that the students at that school know of China Dragon and say it’s the best Chinese place around! To see the childlike joy on their faces was priceless. I shared some photos of my China trip with the owner. He loved to hear my stories and how I was in culture shock when I first arrived. There were three other ladies in eating lunch, catching up on school events and church events, talking about the wrestling meet this weekend and if it was worth the trip to go. I am convinced that close friendships between girls, of all ages, are something to be cherished. As I placed my order with the sweet young cook, I picked up my book to see if I could get in a few pages before my food came. To my complete surprise, the young cook comes again, turns his back to three ladies, leaning in close and whispers, with a slight crooked smile “Free soup for you?” I smiled, reached out and touched his hand and said “You are far too kind.” After about 10 minutes I found I was the only customer in the restaurant. The owner and cook came over and we talked about college, life in O’Neill, Chinese and Japanese food. “Oh!” says the owner, “I have a Japanese song for you to hear.” He walks over and plays a sweet song “about romance, about the heart” he tells me. I suggested he sing it to his wife when she walks in. He just laughed and laughed. I finished my meal and went to pay my bill. Yet again, some of my food was free, so I tipped well. I also gave him two DeVry pens. I told him to keep these and if anyone asks you let them know I’m the representative. He was please to have this free gift. He asks “Can I really keep these?” “Absolutely!!” I replied with a huge smile. I said “I will be back in a year” “NOOOOOO!!!!” He said, come back next month.” I explain my territory and told him I promise to come back when I’m in the area again. He reached out, grabbed my hand and said “I will remember you. You are always welcome here.” I touched his hand and said “You are wonderful.” Pure joy still exists.
I rushed into 5th Avenue Espresso, from the blowing wind, to get a cup of coffee after my meal at China Dragon. What an adorable little shop I thought! I was pleased to sit down and spend my afternoon scheduling here. 5th Avenue Espresso was also the town’s video rental store called Encore. Movies and coffee – what a great mix! As I place my card on the counter to pay for my 16 oz Carmen Bravo, “I’m so sorry, we only take cash” is what I’m told. “Can I write a check?” I asked, clearly embarrassed that I didn’t have $2 for the coffee I just ordered. “You can write a check, or you can just bring me the money sometime this week when you get some cash. How does that sound?” How does that sound? That sounds like Mayberry. Am I still in America, the land of dishonesty and theft? I forgot I had stashed $40 cash in my purse for the trip and was able to pay that way. Margarette reminded me that trust still exists.



Goodness, purity, generosity, pure joy and trust still exist. But they only exist because the Lord exists. He makes all things good, all things pure, all things true. What a great reminder this week as I travel the back roads in north central Nebraska. As that old song goes…”On the road again….”

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You should be a writer! That was awesome and I bet you could get it published. No joke! Thank you for sharing. Love you, niece.
    Ella

    ReplyDelete